Wednesday 4 December 2019

mystery photo answers for yesterday

Do you recognise what this is a photo of?

Yesterday's question
 This is the Bradford Lifeboat and the Tug Vulcan, both went to assist a stricken vessel Indian Chef 5th Jan. 1881. Back then this was a major incident nationally and locally and we have just produced a £1.99 booklet which is a reprint of one of the articles published at the time. It isn't on our website yet so if you want to have a look you will need to come to Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate - closed tomorrow because it's Thursday.

This is a picture from the booklet.

pictures of the tug "Vulcan" are difficult to find
Note in the background the very tall Ganville tower, this was lowered in 1900 so before then. Note also the black face on Ramsgate Clock House making between 1842 and 1881.

A lot of books went out on sale at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate today
link to the pictures of the books
I have been learning about vlogging which I hope to be able to do soon although frankly it's much harder than I expected it to be.

I find it particularly hard to understand why the bookshop is doing reasonably well at the moment, I have to qualify this one with the explanation that it doesn't really make a profit, but it does provide a substantial proportion of the money we live on.

Two BBC news Articles today one about Clintons Cards and the other M&G suggest that fears about BREXIT are having a big impact on shops. M&G own commercial properties lots of which are shops and the already bad situation in the High Street due to the internet seems to be going into meltdown because of the possible affects of BREXIT. 





 

2 comments:

  1. somewhere in this mess of mine i do have the History of the Vulcan Tug which I will try and find, I also have a large oilagraph of her hanging on the wall to my left, in the picture she is towing a ship into Dover, this picture shows her as a stern wheeler tug.
    regards keith moody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to see that 'stern wheeler'! Any chance of posting it on here sometime?

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.