Sunday 26 January 2020

Bad Phone Day, a couple of pictures and the answers.

 A couple of harbour incidents
Note Margate Lighthouse demolished by the 1953 storm

next yesterday's answers
 The view of Margate came from one of the local history books we publish here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate, coming in and having a browse of it is best but here is the link to it 

 I think Leopold street is the one left of centre the alley right of centre Farley Place the photo being taken from the top of somewhere in York Terrace. This area is now the mulit story, back of Wilkinsons.

I had one of those days when my smartphone became not so smart perhaps a fickfone, so back to factory settings and great relief that everything on it is saved to Google cloud. It's still getting thousands of photos back, but I can once again do everything I can do on a conventional phone and nearly everything I can do on a conventional computer. 

While on one side of the ITC coin, I just wouldn't have the time to write these blog posts without a smartphone, the other side of the ITC coin is the damage phone computers and TVs are doing.

Usually the issues I read about are the damage to us human beings, particularly screen use, eyesight, cognitive ability, memory loss in the older generation and stress related mental health issues in the younger generation.

This time it's the environment, link to one of the many articles highlighting the carbon cost of ITC.

As far as I can see ITC is producing about 2% of the world's carbon with this expected to rise to 8% by 2030 and a very large proportion of this is due to cloud storage and the associated data transfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.