Saturday, 3 October 2026

Old Ramsgate and Margate and Neil Gaiman books

 


The first picture is Ramsgate looking down on the pavilion and on the left of the picture you can see the railway turntable in front of the lift. Datewise I would guess around 1920. 


The next picture is Hazardous Row in Margate. So this is the back of Margate lower High Street when the buildings on the sea side were much lower, extended much less far towards the sea and sea extended much further towards the High Street. These were basically changing rooms with steps down to the sea.


The next one is an early one of Ramsgate, so well before the Red brick archers and the construction of most of the buildings next to the Harbour that are there now.


The next one, Margate Hazardous Row on the left Albert terrace on the right, at least one of the Albert terrace buildings are still there. 


The next one is Clifton Gardens Margate. 


The next one an aerial view looking down on Ramsgate harbour's crosswall. This is when there were two lock gates the one we have now is in the foreground. I think this is a fairly early aerial view from the early days of aviation. 



The next one an 1805 aquatint etching titled Margate, Inner View of the Pier, Bathing Rooms taken from the Shipwrights by English artist John Raphael Smith.


The next one is the paragon in Ramsgate and it looks to be early 1900s. 


It's possible to unscramble what the buildings in the pictures were used for and who lived in them by coming here to Michael's bookshop in Ramsgate and working through the old Street directories. You have to be very careful as Street numbering changes as you go back in time, so always best to start from the most recent 1970s directories and work your way back way back to the earliest directories which is 1849. It's also very good way of working out who lived in your house over the years.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.