Saturday, 10 October 2026

Ramsgate and Margate old pictures and Rupert the Bear video

 Ramsgate and Margate old pictures, another fairly large batch and once again I will do my best with descriptions, but please appreciate the descriptions are mostly off the top of my head in between serving customers at Michael's Bookshop here in Ramsgate. This means there may be some mistakes and I would look on the various local history Facebook groups particularly the Margate and Ramsgate ones where there may be some comments from people who know more about the pictures than I do. 


The first three are all Addington Street and I think they're all 1926 part of the welcome for the visit of the Prince of Wales. 


The next one is Ramsgate Eastern undercliffe this is before the swimming pool was built and this area had this structure of changing rooms. I'm guessing from the clothes that it's somewhere around about 1930. 


The next one says it's Margate from Buenos Aires.


The next one a Margate undertakers trade card. 


The next one is the quiver lifeboat, so Margate. 


The next one another Margate lifeboat. 


The next one an unknown coaster off of Margate. 


The next one I, think another, Margate lifeboat. 


The next one another coaster named Fluidity. Obviously at Margate. 


Next one Margate jetty. 


The next one is the crane removing the pier head from Margate jetty. That is after it was severely damaged in the storm, so 1970s. 


The next one Ramsgate the sands station on the right and the beach on the left looks to be around about 1910 to me. 


The next one a procession of horse-drawn vehicles on Harbour Parade. As they have numbers on them I'm assuming that they were entered in some sort of competition. I'm guessing that it's sometime in the 1910s. 


The next two are inside Westcliff Hall, obviously Ramsgate. 


The next one is the world war one U-boat gun that was displayed on Nelson crescent.























No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.