Prince Fred and William fishing boat crew. As far as I understand they gave trips to tourists around 1900.
Next this group is Margate Saint John's Ambulance crew.
Next Eastcliff promenade Ramsgate.
Next a vessel being displayed in Margate apparently
“The Flora” I will try and work out what it is but I'm sure people will tell me if I can’t. AI says “Flora was a traditional Kentish lugger—a sturdy type of multi-masted boat frequently deployed by local mariners for fishing, piloting, and hazardous "hovelling" (mercantile salvage and rescue work) along the treacherous sands of the North Sea coast.”
Then three of the marina swimming pool and Ramsgate
Then the crew that was rescued by the Margate surf boat in 1897
Then the funeral cortege for the 1897 surf boat funeral.
Then Eastcliff bandstand Ramsgate I think this is probably 1940s
Then the East cliff in Ramsgate, note the pier and the strange cliff top area that the very incautious seem to be happy sitting on. Perhaps they were generation C or something.
Here at Michael's bookshop in Ramsgate we do have the booklet about the Margate surf boat disaster. “Friend to all Nations” The Story of the Surfboat Disaster of 1897. It's one of those scarce pamphlets that has become expensive at £20. Sorry about that but I couldn't find it cheaper online anywhere else.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.