Sunday 1 June 2008

Harbour Street Floods

During the other nights thunderstorm 20 mm of rainfall was recorded in half an hour, which is fairly considerable, but not terribly unusual.

In Harbour Street here in Ramsgate the street drains were completely unable to cope and several businesses were flooded, there is talk of some of the businesses engaging in litigation against council for compensation.

I have heard that this was because the pipes used were of too small a bore, I have also heard that some of the storm drains were concreted over, I am not at all clear about the accuracy of all this as we had our own problems with the storm so I didn’t get out and about the day after. Any more information would be appreciated either as a comment or by email.

I am sorry that the picture is of flooding in Canterbury, I really lack good Ramsgate flood pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.