Tuesday 24 March 2009

NEW ADDITION FOR RAMSGATE ROUNDABOUT

Thanet district Council press release

Drivers entering Thanet are now being greeted by a dragon on one of the area's main roundabouts, thanks to a project by the council's Environmental Action Programme.

The roundabout at the junction of Haine Road and Manston Road on the outskirts of Ramsgate is now home to a striking wooden dragon, with its body planted out with drought resistant grasses and succulent plants, which will require no watering and minimal maintenance

The dragon, made from pressure treated timber that should be weather resistant for 25 years, represents the area's strong links with the Vikings.

The work, paid for by the council's Environmental Action Programme, which works to improve the appearance of the area, has been undertaken in association with Kent County Council.

Cllr. Shirley Tomlinson, Cabinet Member for Environmental Services, said: "The dragon is a striking addition to one of Thanet's most high profile routes. Everyone who drives into the area from Sandwich will instantly see it and it's a great way of welcoming people into Thanet. The dragon is a really practical way of dealing with a very difficult site. It's wind blown, meaning we can only use certain plants there and we've had to pick ones that need little maintenance. It's also an exceptionally busy road, making it very difficult for staff to get access to it, so traditional flowerbeds just wouldn't work."

1 comment:

  1. Lucky it's 'weather resistant for 25 years' as, judging by everything else round here, it'll be 25 years before TDC get around to giving it a lick of creosote.

    No, strike that. I give it 30 years and it'll be a heap of rotting timber!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.