Sunday 11 February 2018

I go to Turner Contemporary to photograph the best butter, old Thanet pictures and a bit of a naughty ramble about art



Click on the pictures to expand them, I think this letter card dates from around 1905, it does beg the question, what would you say if limited to not more than five words of conversational greeting including signature?


“I am just going, Oats” doesn’t work really does it?








 On to the more conventional postcards in an album

 Lovely girls in Margate in 1910 - see text below




When the list of materials used to produce a work of art contains butter, one usually expects a book (like Alice in Wonderland, "But it was the best butter")  or a film line (like Last Tango in Paris) you do get "oil and tar" in The Waste Land but not butter.
Anyway it's hard to focus on the butter so I went back to Margate today and had another go.

Is it me or is Mr Gormly’s bottom getting redder? Perhaps I should go out in my waders with the Sudocrem.

Peter Blake's Marcel Duchamp's World Tour Playing Chess With Tracey, I think connects our Tracey with The Waste Land's "A Game of Chess" well it's there. A picture in the exhibition - I mean.

It is you know - very difficult to get away form the issue that The Waste Land is a very depressing poem.



 I did buy quite a few books in Margate today, all three secondhand bookshops there being open on Sunday, the pictures of these six books represent perhaps 60 more, a good haul.

This is the link to the books that went out in the bookshop yesterday
“On Margate Sands.
I can connect
Nothing with nothing.
The broken fingernails of dirty hands.
My people humble people who expect
Nothing.”
                       la la

And yes I am sorry about being a bit obsessive over this new art exhibition - which seem to be about connecting things to the Waste Land,

In the gallery today - when people asked me. "How are you?" I answered. [We who were living are now] "dying. With a little patience." I gather I can mimic Eliot's accent fairly well. Strangely enough I didn't get many laughs.

Ah yes - bacon sos egg chips and toms in the cafe (Turner Hash)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.