Saturday 6 July 2019

Archive photos, today's photos, ramble, Manston, Bexit and so on.

I skived off work in the bookshop today and went off to The Pav to paint and take a few photos.
Here is the link to the photos
All very much the same as usual I'm afraid.

Hopefully a few archive photos you haven't seen before.

Ramsgate as a seaside spot does seem to be getting a bit more viable again, mainly down to Wetherspoons I think, not massive crowds but reasonably busy. Wetherspoons itself was pretty much packed as is usual at the weekend, I wonder if there are plans to expand it into the whole building, or for that matter any plans relating to the part of The Royal Victoria Pavilion that is still empty.

Plenty of posts on Facebook relating to the sale of Manston Airport and whether it will mean a huge air cargo facility with the associated air and noise pollution.

If you live in Ramsgate, have a business in Ramsgate or have children at school in Ramsgate (I suffer from all three conditions) then the impact RiverOak say their airfreight hub would have on your life will be very significant. RiverOak's own documentation says there will be, reduced life expectancy, lower attainment in schools, earlier onset of dementia, increase in all sorts of horrible diseases.

On the other hand companies have been predicting massive air operations at Manston since commercial flights started there in the 1960s, and as all of these companies went bust apart from the one who sold up for £1, history would suggest this would be the most likely outcome again.

So I won't be moving the bookshop to another town yet. I do think though that even the minimum DCO threshold of 10,000 freight flights per year would mean we would have to.

I am still looking on the BRXIT progress with interest, the idea of changing from government by democracy to government by referendum is the aspect that intrigues me the most. I think particularly because technology makes this possible.

Time for a change? 

I still think that we should have had a referendum asking us roughly whether we wanted to switch to government by referendum on major issues, or stick with the old system of politicians thrashing out the choice between seemingly attainable options.

Another option would be the the new Conservative one of issuing two ballot papers which would allow us to vote both ways, this would ensure that we were always in the right. 

I suppose the bottom line for me as a small businessperson, is that any major change Manston, BREXIT, whatever tends to be expensive.

As a final thought, I link my blog posts to various local facebook groups and please don't where moderators may be unhappy about serious comment relating to my rather tongue in cheek commentary on life. 

















 King St Margate

 1963 winter ice and snow


 Chapel Hill c1900

 Storm damage Feb 1938


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.