Saturday 27 July 2019

Ramsgate and Margate photos late and some thoughts on photographing people in public places and a bit of a ramble.

 Sorry about yesterday, I ran out of time and so there was no blog.

Here is the link to yesterday's photos

To be honest I deleted most of the photos because of the quality and size of the camera making it possible to zoom in on people on the beach too much.

The rights and wrongs of street photography, which is what I think beach photography equates to, have moved from the letter of the law, which says you can photograph anyone in a public place, to trying to avoid photos which don't offend anyone, which of course is impossible. 

A big problem here is that modernish cameras have the potential to be misused in a way that's intrusive. The picture above comes from Wednesday's photos, is nothing special, just a hand held shot from the Pavilion.

The other side of this coin is that archive photos recording our history including tourism - how busy beaches are, what people are doing on them, well it is important.

Another problem is that what you can see in the viewfinder when you take the photo compared to what you can see downloading the full size image file from Google Photos is massively different.

Work wise here at Michael's Bookshop here in Ramsgate
here is the link to the photos of the books that went out yesterday
the work of adding more bookcases is still going on.
There are various ways of mitigating the issues one of which is going back to publishing all of the pictures at a limited size on one webpage.
What's happening with the Maritime Museum?

I think the idea was that it was going to be run by by Preston Steam Trust with historic steam related events like the one in 2012, next links to the photos of that.

link 1     link 2


















1 comment:

  1. The streets of houses back then look really crisp and tidy and I have just realised it's because there are no telephone cables, no Redifusion cables, no television aerials, no cars parked along all the streets and, just the odd pedestrian or horse and cart. Street trees add to the ambience as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.