Sunday 28 July 2019

Thanet Carnivals and a bit of a ramble.

This photo is of Ramsgate Carnival in 1968

The way the day panned it wasn't possible for me to get to the carnival today so a bit about past carnivals instead.
These two of Ramsgate Regatta I think the top one is around 1900
This one is one of the many photos on the Seas website
 These of the Floral Fete in the earl 1900s

Our carnival probably developed from events like these, England before WW1 is very difficult to reconstruct as everyone I spoke to about it had been through both world wars and mostly seemed to look back on the wars with more interest, liking and enthusiasm than the peace.

As far as I can see carnivals in the modern sense seem to date from the 1930s, I think if there were carnivals here before WW1 they would figure in local guides and photos. Earliest seem to be Ramsgate regatta, the card is postmarked 1906 and Ramsgate Floral Fete 1905 where there are floats but no mention of carnival The SEAS Ramsgate water gala photo seems to predate the carnival photo looks to be pre 1930, becomes called Ramsgate Water Carnival and this may have developed into the carnival around 1930
This is Ramsgate Carnival Queen in 1938.

A difficulty here is that when people write things down the meaning can change, or the reader can misunderstand the intention.

With today's technology there are different types of communication breakdown issues.

For instance I deleted this comment before publishing it last week, you can't retrieve deleted comments on blogger and I assumed it was malicious or spam related.

"Plumberjohn100 has left a new comment on your post "Ramsgate sketch, harbour walk photos, Margate and ...":

I had a brother in law who was a toilet on invicta before that Air Ferry at Manston"

Only later did I realise that toilet was probably what predictive text did to a typo or spelling mistake writing pilot.

Margate Carnival next





Work wise I have been fairly busy, Michael's Bookshop where I work here in Ramsgate is increasingly becoming the most viable of the bookshop in the area. I suppose even in terms of shops in general, outside of the essentials like food and clothes the bookshop is becoming something of a destination by default.

I've just read out MP's roundup on The Isle of Thanet News
here is the link to the article
what seems to missing is the thorny problem that the country and the MPs are divided over the BREXIT issue and that this needs some sort of resolution.

I think the Boris plan is to leave the decision much more in the hands of a no confidence in him or his government, than come up with serious solutions to unite the country.

In terms both of the people who voted in the referendum who are still alive (this link takes you to one of the many news articles explaining this) and recent polls another link the country seems to be marginally Remain.

It's very difficult to see how making a major constitutional change, in this case leaving the EU, against what appears to be the will of a narrow majority, is going to be better than staying against the will of a narrow minority.

Once again I'm sorry I just haven't had a chance to get out with the camera today so apologies all round.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.