Tuesday 23 July 2019

Ramsgate in the mid 1860s minor ramble

This picture shows what is now called "Harbour Parade" The oldest street map of Ramsgate shows it as "Waterside" in 1736, it later became "Goldsmid Place" then for a while an extension of  "Harbour Street" which for some time ran from the bottom of High Street - where it joins King and Queen streets all the way to where Wetherspoons and the Pleasurama disaster are now.

I first used the pictures in this blog post about twelve years ago to illustrate our reprint of The New Ramsgate Guide for 1867 by J Bear, the original guide didn't have any pictures, for the extra interested here is the link to more about this book

Here are some of the pages from this 1867 guide, 



 Workwise today I have been making more bookcases in the bookshop, something that involves changes to my workstation, I get a bigger desk out of it.

The only books to go out today were a small collection about London Busses
Here is the link to the photos of the bus books
I didn't get out until the shop closed today, partly because of making the bookcases and partly because it was fairly busy despite the heatwave.
Here is the link to this evening's photos
So nothing very exciting all round.
Obviously the main event of the day is Boris Johnson becoming the new UK prime minister, what that will come to is anyone's guess.







3 comments:

  1. The photo third from bottom presumably is of the original station. What is the enormous archway (although not strictly an arch!) between the station and the steps, which doesn't look to be the right angle for the railway tunnel? Was it purely decorative, or was it an entrance to something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy, second station, the first also now gone was at the top of Chatham Street/High Street - at the other end of what is now Station Approach Road. The bridge was across the tunnel entrance, the brick support pillars are still there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I must take a look next time I'm in Ramsgate.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.