Tuesday 2 July 2019

Ramsgate and Margate High Streets yesterday and today

 I went to investigate Ramsgate High Street during my lunch break from Michael's Bookshop where I work here in Ramsgate today. I suppose like most towns the main issue with Ramsgate's shopping centre is it is so fragmented.

Despite this fragmentation we had a reasonably busy day, there was a fair amount of local history amongst the books we put out.

Here is the link to the photos of today's books

I have added pictures of Margate's High Street to this post.

 Photos date from different times




 This sketch is by J. M. W. Turner, I would guess when he was at school in Margate in the mid to late 1780s
 this one from an 1820 guide, although had coloured by someone evidently colour blind but enthusiastic.
 This one seems to be slightly geographically disadvantaged and i guess about 1860


Was it Greggs

Over the years I have considered many additions to the bookshop but not a sewing machine department.
before or after it was Mad Max?







Next the Ramsgate street directory pages for the High St in the early 1970s. If like me you were here in Ramsgate in the early 1970s it is indeed a bit of a walk down memory lane.




I didn't get very far with my lunchtime investigation of Ramsgate High street
The Ramsgate Thrift Store proved to be what it said on the sign




 A range of Levis for £1




An Island Vintage where the owner explained to me why the earth is flat


One more new shop moving towards opening, but in Harbour Street

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.