Tuesday 18 February 2020

3 Mystery Thanet Photos, My attempt at dating yesterday's map

 q1 where in Thanet

  q2 where in Thanet
  q3 where in Thanet

Link to the bigger pictures







The most recent date first, at a glance, no Royal Victoria Pavilion built in 1903 – so it has to be before that , no trams which were there in in 1901 – so it has to be before that. Refining this even more  In 1898 the London Chatham and Dover Railway (LCDR) agreed with the South Eastern Railway (SER).  to share the operation of the two railways, work them as a single system (as the South Eastern and Chatham Railway). So 1898 or before.

In the end I resorted to the books here at Michael's Bookshop where I work, online research gets progressively more difficult and less accurate.  

The main source is the 1895 Ramsgate Guide Book, “Ramsgate Illustrated” Especially the part on Municipal Government 


And of course the pictures of the new roads, waterfall etc. so I think it has to be around 1895. bt not far from.

This picture is a page from 1995 Ramsgate Guide Book, “Ramsgate Illustrated”



the new road wasn't built in 1890 but illustrated as a proposal in, 1890 the next bit from the 1890 guide

you will need to click on both the picture and the picture of the text of the proposed new road to expand them 


This photo was taken in 1890 

At the moment I have it has to be before 1899 and after 1890 with my best guess being 1895



3 comments:

  1. The shed looks like the old tram shed in Westbrook. You can even see the rails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top Pic - Tram Shed, Canterbury Road, just short of Junc with George V Ave - was demolished to make way for part of what was Westbrook Day Hospital - total waste - should've been preserved.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.