Monday 17 February 2020

Can you date an old street map of Ramsgate? Sorry, Computer glitch and other stuff, behold the answers.


When you go about dating a map of Ramsgate, the more you know in terms of what was built when the more accurately you can date it. Maps like this one , aimed at tourists, are seldom dated because if you date a map 1065 along comes William the Conqueror in 1066 and makes a load of changes so no one will buy the maps with 1065 on them.

Blogger has started reducing the size of enlarged pictures, not as badly as Facebook does, but I don't know that it would be possible to read the street names even having clicked on it impulsively 
  

School holidays at the moment so a very busy bookshop today, we did price and put out some books
I think the main reason is the lack of alternatives for families to go anywhere in winter where they can all do some shopping pretty much regardless of their budget.

We always have a reasonable range of books that are price between 5p and £5. Of course we do have some of the more expensive and collectable books priced between £20 and £500 
 pointing the phone's camera behind me bring up this at the moment

 1 A major fear during both world wars was coastal invasion meaning that after WW2 Ramsgate had significant concrete defences.
 2 Harbour Parade Ramsgate Temperance and government funding, the government passed the Defence of the Realm Act in 1914 at the beginning of the First World War. According to the provisions of this act pub hours were licensed, beer was watered down and was subject to a penny a pint extra tax. So there they are literally “on the bandwaggon”

The law was help prevent invasion and to keep morale at home high. It also imposed censorship of journalism and of letters coming home from the front line. 10 people were executed under the regulations.
 3 an extra picture or two should do more to explain this one

 The dome on the left
is Sanger's now Argos, such is the nature of town centre improvement.


4 update Kevin Mortimer Steve Villette Newgate pumped seawater to a storage tank in Zion Place, and it was distributed from there for street cleaning

link to the main article on Margate water supply



 Pumping Station c1912 Newgate Gap, seawater on the sign is an euphemism for sewage
The idea being to pump Margate's sewage away from Margate Main Sands, unless there was heavy rain or the gas engine in the photo failed in which case they opened the sluices .

Sorry about the lack of responses to comments on Facebook over the weekend, I had a bit of a computer glitch combined with a lot of stuff going on in the real world and I have only just had time to sort the technology out and start replying to people.

I spent the weekend moving my children into the two bedrooms I have just redecorated and this proved to be more time consuming than I expected.

I wasn't at work at Michaels Bookshop on Saturday but the work went on without me

here is the link to the books that got priced and put out on the shelves  

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon some time in the 1880s? Pre-Madiera Walk, but post St Paul's, which was founded in the 1870s...

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.