Friday 1 June 2018

Things to do and places to see in Thanet

Back in 1788 when Benjamin West painted The Bathing Place in Ramsgate everyone knew exactly what they were doing.

 The head of the household was suffering from an illness, as you would expect he had - being wealthy - consulted the best physicians in london, bleeding had been tried, to no avail, leaches had been applied with no improvement. So he had rented a house in Ramsgate for a year, for the cure, family, servants, horses had all be transported to the seaside. The first part of his daily cure is to stripp off and drink a pint of seawater, you can see the jug in his hand. 

   Next the professional dunkers will ensure that he is totally immersed in seawater, at this time neither the bathing costume nor the holiday had been invented, so this has to be seen purely as medical treatment. Much of the prosperity of our local economy was based on this treatment.

                                                       
Roll down the years and the maritime museum is open again for the summer months, flaming June has begun.


The steam tug Cervia is also open


The council have made a film about Margate


Summer in Kent - Explore Margate from Go To Places on Vimeo.

The Belgian now to be called the Green Tara will be open again in about a fortnight

Work is going along at what was The Bench and I think is due to be a Turkish eatery

Plenty to look at in the bookshop .

Just in case you think I am forgetting Margate here are a few Margate pictures















No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.