Thursday 21 June 2018

Thoughts about Margate in WW1, historic Ramsgate photo dating photos of Ramsgate yesterday and Folkestone today

This is Newgate gap Clifonville

Posted during 8th July 1916

So during posted during WW1 the quote "Margate is not very full of people but it is simply crowded with soldiers" is worthy of today's social media.

Makes me wonder about Ella

Quote form Cockburn's Diary from July 1916

"Sunday July 9 th
Walked to Broadstairs this morning with Mummie and the chicks. On arriving there found
all the defences on the sea front manned by troops with rifles and machine guns. Could not
of course find out what it was for, but found later that an enemy aeroplane appeared over
the North Foreland at 10.45 a.m. but did no damage and was chased off as far as the
Goodwin Sands by our planes.
Monday July 11 th
Enemy aeroplane at Dover today.
Thursday July 13 th
About 11 p.m. on 13 th there was an exceedingly heavy rain storm, in the middle of which
we heard violent cannonading. The effect was very striking!"

Another mulitview card I find these useful for dating pictures as obviously all of the pictures on the card are around the same date.

Day off today mostly buying books for the bookshop in Folkestone so a few pictures on the camera card here is the link to them 

Work wise here is the link to the books that went out in the bookshop yesterday 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.