Saturday 7 February 2009

Dubrensis Castelli

One of my family’s favourite days out is Dover Castle, my folio copy of Darell written in the late 1500s for queen Elizabeth is getting a little unsuitable to carry around as a guide book, it has Francis Grose’s Provincial Glossary 1811 bound in with it, making it doubly bulky.

When it was first published in 1797 it was priced at 3 guineas about £150 in Mars Bars from then to know, but also a lot of people in the land would have lived for a year on less, the money not the Mars Bars.

Anyway I am in the process of doing a cheap reprint for general amusement and edification.

It is also a useful book for those learning Latin as it has both the original Latin text and the English translation on the same page.

The link will take you to the sample pages http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/blogpicts2/id64.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.