Monday 16 February 2009

Pritchard’s History of Deal

I have managed to purchase a plate (above) for the back cover so am finishing off the book today.

I have got thus far with the intro, something I always find very difficult because I deliberately haven’t read it yet. I always wait now until I have the finished reprint as you can only read a book for the first time once, and are much more likely to spot errors on the first reading, any help from someone who has read it would be appreciated.

On a clear day Deal is visible from Ramsgate as you can see from the back cover picture, which comes from the Naval Chronicle for July 31st 1817.

With this in mind it thought iIapposite to do this reprint for our maritime neighbour.

Deal and Ramsgate both have a long history much of which relates to the shipping in the downs, many a sailor owes his life to the seafaring skills of the people of both towns.

I couldn’t find a coloured picture of the right period that was recognisably Deal, so that one based on the frontispiece I commissioned especially for this book.

Original copies of this book sell for about £150 making it out of reach of may who would like to read it, a mixture of this and my high regard for the people of Deal made me think to produce this reprint, a small token for deal.

Michael Child 16th February mmix

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.