Wednesday 18 February 2009

“YOU WHEEL BE FINED”

Thanet district Council press release

That’s the name of a new campaign that’s been launched in Cliftonville, warning people that riding bikes on the pavement is illegal and dangerous.

The campaign was produced by the Thanet Community Safety Partnership’s Cliftonville Task and Finish Group. This group, made up of a number of different organisations, works to reduce crime in the area and tackle the issues that have been identified there.

Feedback from local people through the PACT (partners and communities together) panels and street briefings highlighted cycling on pavements as an issue that needed to be addressed.

A new poster has now been designed and distributed to shops in Northdown Road and the surrounding areas, which reminds people through the slogan “ride on the pavement… you wheel be fined” that, as well as being illegal, they risk being fined by the police. Anyone who is seen by police officers cycling on pavements will be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice of £30.

Although the campaign is focused on Cliftonville, it is illegal to cycle on the pavements anywhere in Thanet.

To find out more, call the Thanet Community Safety Partnership on 01843 577608.

1 comment:

  1. It is to be hoped this will be enforced with some common sense.Considering the idiotic driving seen almost daily it's hard to begrudge people takingto the pathways.Another easy way to meet targets on "crime"?

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.