Saturday 21 February 2009

Steve Ladyman’s Planes and boring Volvos

Steve Ladyman by email

Michael,While I'm on line with you - your blog readers may be interested that I've just had an update from the Environment Agency about plane dismantling at the Airport. After discussions between the Environment Management team and the airport operator it has been agreed that aircraft dismantling will be done in future in accordance with a new mobile treatment permit and the EA are content that aircraft dismantling is now being carried out with all necessary safeguards in place.Steve

Having finally got back to the blog after a difficult day yesterday which included, delivery of a replacement second hand car, changing insurance, road tax I realised that I hadn’t posted the comment Steve had sent me for the previous post and the email the sent me to post above I had used as the comment instead.

Most of my adult life I have had various toys, boat, motor home, motorbike, sports car, limousine. Pretty much all of this has gone now, partly because of global warming and partly because of the restrictions imposed by having a young family.

I am afraid I consider being reduced to one Volvo 7 seater estate, something I consider to be one of the most boring forms of transport invented, pretty poor.

I bought the replacement Volvo estate unseen over the phone from Dane Valley Volvos and they delivered it while the shop was open yesterday, so I didn’t get a chance for a proper look or a test drive until late afternoon.

I only ever get as cheap one as I don’t do a lot of mileage and they get minor scrapes and vandalism parked in the town centre all the time.

Anyway I thought I had better test out another boring Volvo before it got dark, I don’t think I have ever had such a shock in terms of unexpected vehicle experiences, this it transpired is the turbo charged version delivering 220 horse power with the hardened suspension.

A wheel spin handbrake turn adrenalin flowing half hour later I returned to mess up the posts and celebrate.

The picture is of my last toy sold to save the planet due to its 5.7 litre engine and nothing like as fun to drive as the Volvo.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that the EA had previously had to clamp down on the airport for dismantling aircraft without the proper permits? I seem to recall the contractors attempting to dispose of depleted uranium by trying to hide it in a skip full of other metals and then leaving it by the side of the road. Are you teling me that they've been at it again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. anon 19 03

    Is he a Dodge dealer as well then ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry 1903 can’t allow anonymous personal comments like that so have deleted it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.