Wednesday 15 April 2009

TALL SHIPS BACK IN RAMSGATE TODAY

A flotilla of tall ships from Europe's biggest classic sailing ship race has arrived in Ramsgate.

The Race of the Classics, now into its 21st year, sailed into the town's Royal Harbour Marina this morning, earlier than originally expected.

The 20 tall ships are spending today (Wednesday) in the harbour, before leaving at around 6.00am tomorrow (Thursday) morning.

The race started from Rotterdam, before heading for Ramsgate and Ostende in Belgium, before finishing in Amsterdam.

The race is organised by students and the ships are crewed by a mixture of international students, accompanied by professional sailors, all competing for the Challenge Cup. It is the largest event of its kind in Europe to involve non-professionals on tall ships.

Harbourmaster Captain Dominic Evans said: "It's wonderful to be welcoming the majestic tall ships back to Ramsgate. They make a beautiful sight and always draw huge crowds to the Royal Harbour Marina. It's one of the highlights of the year for us and we're delighted that they've been able to come over to visit us again."

Ed Click here for some pictures of them here the year before last.

3 comments:

  1. wHEN MY MISSUS GETS IN WE WILL TAKE A TRIP OVER AND LOOK SEE oops typo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what caused typo I need coffee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an unreasonably high concentration of blood in the caffeine stream Don.

    I noticed the council managed to get this press release on their home page today after that they put up one they sent to me 12 days ago and now they appear to have the problem that they have got so far behind with publishing them if they put up all the back releases the current ones will vanish of their homepage.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.