Monday 23 September 2019

Ramsgate to the British Museum with Moto G7 Play phone and Field-Path Rambles Thanet 1901

These are are Ur ducks so they would have been on the wall not so much in 1960 AD but 1960 BC, 4,000 years is a long time for a ceramic duck.

As you may have gathered if you read my blog posts, I have a bit of an interest in history as do some members of my extended family.Whether meeting up from different parts of the country at the British Museum is fair on those members who aren't that interested in history is OK - well that's another matter but it's what we did yesterday.

So Ramsgate station, earlyish on Sunday morning a return ticket to London bought at the station without any concessions is under £35.

   The British Museum is for the most part about ancient history and displays artifacts taken by British archaeologists and explorers from the beginning of the age of enlightenment, say 1715, from all over the world.


How this all impacts on the local history here in Thanet relates to the Iron Age hear in the southeast, which can roughly be considered as the bit around the time of Christ when the Romans invaded landing in Thanet.

Some sort of Briton civilisation was significant 2,000 years before the Romans arrived, this gold cape that I particularly wanted to see dates from the Early Bronze age about 4,000 years ago.

A big problem with historical artifacts is that the older they are the thinner they are on the ground. This means that when trying to form a mental picture of life in Thanet back in the day you may only be able to look at hats found in London to work out what the fashion here was like just before the Romans came.

British iron age weapons also have the problem that Iron rusts and gets melted down into plowshares and pruninghooks.

"And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more." — Isaiah 2:4

Thanet was important during Anglo Saxon Times around 1,500 years ago.

The British Museum is free entry, food and drink inside is expensive, around
 £2.50 for a cup of tea
Smoking/vaping, neither of which I do can be done in the dry on the front veranda, without having to go back through the security to get in, this is where I ate my packed lunch.
Tap water refills free from the cafe neat the two totem poles, which are always pleased to see you.

Cream tea [scone jam clotted cream tea of coffee] £5.10 seemed to be the best value there.

It's hard to take a museum of this size in in one go so I take a lot of photos, I didn't take my camera, but I did take a basic cheap smartphone the Moto G7 Play which you can buy at Argos for around £130 sim free or it can be used on any network I have it on Giffgaff pay as you go at £10 per month.

So all of the photos were taken and uploaded to the internet with this budget phone, I started at 9.10 on Ramsgate station with it fully charged and it didn't need recharging until about half way home on the train - plug under seat.

this is the  link to yesterday's photos

Timewise from Ramsgate - on fast train, then 1 stop on underground, to British Museum - a bit under 2 hours.

As I said you can't take it all in so I take a lot of photos and look at them later - then I go back to the museum in question after I have absorbed the photos.

Workwise I am writing this up in Michael's Bookshop where I work in Ramsgate
this is the link to the photos of the books we put out Saturday
and that I have time to tells you it's a fairly quiet day.



















So the last page I will try out the phone's text recognition using Google Lens which is built into the phone's camera.

So here is what it made of it:-

"BROADSTAIRS TO FORENESS POINT


RouTE II-(Third Section).-continued

discovered on the further side of the next house-Regent-cottage.
je math out into the fields, and, avoiding all brunch-pathy,
wie it straight ahead towards the railway. Gaining the latter

to the right and zoo come out upon the road ut Blinds-hill
on to the right along this, and the first mile will be completed
non reaching the Cullis-court" Hotel. (d) Continuing past the
Hotel, Challis-court will presently be passed on the right. Several
picturesque-ives cottages just beyond it inevitably challenge a
comparison between the old and the new." A hop-garden bordered
by a pleasant grove of elms is next passed, and then the quaint old
village of Reading Street will be noted along a branch-inn on the
left. Do not, however, turn long here, but continue the lane until
it makes an abrupt descent, when turn through Joss farmyard on
the right. (e) Follow on out into a broad shallow valley, the
farther side of which dope down with a sweeping curve from the
North Foreland to Kings Gate, and thus affords a lovely peep of the
ocean The path will be easily followed direct to the lighthouse.
Pissing into the enclosure, turn at once to the right, and leave
again by the main entrance the second mile point.
Visitors are allowed to view the lighthouse on week-days only from
00 a.m. until one hour before sunset. Leaving the lighthouse,

Short Tamble from Broadstairs to this point and hack, after passing
the "Callis-court" Hotel, watch for the entrance to a footpath on the right. Turn
aloug here, and go back direct. The current covers cily about two miles
(are)Those referring to go direct to Kingsgate, instead of round by the North
Foreland, should continue along the lane instead of turning through the farm
yard By turning to the left when joining the rond near to the cliff's edge, it will

the found to lead direct to Kingsgate. See next page.
in To returu to Broadstairs, turn to the right upon leaving the Lighthouse
enilorde, smd follow the toad all the way to Broadstairs-church, one mile distant."

Not too bad, in the same league as the speech recognition.

I think if you have an older relation with smartphone illiteracy issues this would be an affordable place to start trying to get them sorted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.