Friday 6 September 2019

Surin in Ramsgate closes, a few old photos a bit of sketching over supper at the Pav

After a busy day at work I went off for supper at The Royal Victoria Pavilion aka Wetherspoons here in Ramsgate. hardly any photos as it was raining here is the link to them I really must get a water resistant camera.

The sign on Surin was enough to make me get the camera out
""Named after her hometown in Thailand, Surin is chef/proprietor Damrong Garbutt’s pride & joy. Her convivial restaurant close to Ramsgate harbour has proved to be hugely popular, thanks to its cheap & cheerful, but skilfully crafted, Thai food. Vegetarians are well catered for, as are students - who are the beneficiaries of a staggeringly low-priced menu. All the usual suspects are here (fish cakes, dumplings, soups), but the cooking has a certain freshness & verve. Cambodian & Laoitian influences liven up the familiar Thai repertoire, hence red & green curries & stir-fries keep company with the likes of whole sea bass steamed with garlic, chilli & lime juice. Locally brewed Surin beer (blonde or dark) has been created specifically for the restaurant & it’s the ideal thirst-quencher for these full-flavoured dishes.""

A loss to Ramsgate link to tripadvisor  

 On to the old photos, note the railway turntable bottom left opposite the Pav
 and the big drop to the sands at the back in the early 1900s
some good detail on this one
 I think this was about 20 years ago
and this attempt to fell a small tree in Ramsgate about ten years ago

work today here is the link to the books we put out

finally some old Margate pictures








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.