Friday 3 April 2009

NEW VIKING PLAYGROUND

Thanet district Council press release

A play area with a large Viking play ship, thought to be the only one of its kind in England, is being officially opened in Margate today (Thursday 2 April)

Located on the cliff top green in Ethelbert Crescent, Cliftonville, it is the first dedicated play area in this deprived part of the town and is aimed at children up to the age of 14 years old.

With views out to sea, the play area features timber equipment, including a giant balancing snake in the grass, maze, double width slide, hard carved Viking figure roundabout, sand play area, King’s throne and basket swing.

Funded by £240,000 from the Margate Renewal Partnership and Safer Stronger Communities Fund, the project has been undertaken by Thanet District Council’s leisure and regeneration services team.

Viking re-enactors and children from two local primary schools, Holy Trinity Primary and Cliftonville Primary, will be helping to officially open the playground.

One of those opening the play area is Cllr. Shirley Tomlinson, Cabinet Member for Environmental Services. She said: “This play area will be a wonderful addition for Cliftonville and Margate, finally giving children somewhere they can come and play and enjoy themselves. It’s going to be a great place for youngsters to come and play in an imaginative setting. The play area is located in a stunning location and it’s got some beautiful facilities that I hope everyone will look after and treasure. I’m sure children are going to love our unique Viking Ship, celebrating our historic links with the Vikings.”
The play area will be open from tomorrow (Friday 3 April) in time for the Easter school holidays.

1 comment:

  1. I wanna play as well....... If it was a better day my OH would take the grandson up there but Margate seems to be bathed in mist

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.