Tuesday 30 January 2018

Spring in the air in Ramsgate thoughts on cameras, phones and photography old and new

Back in around 1970 I bought a camera called a Zenit B, I think it was probably the cheapest SLR camera you could buy at the time. The thing about SLR cameras is that you can change the lenses. Later on, I bought a better camera called a Nikon F with a Photomic head, the thing about this was that it worked out the right exposure. One of the great things about an SLR camera is that you look into a viewfinder and see out through the main lens on the camera, so you can see if your picture in focus.

So for ages my main camera was some sort of SLR and for ages more recently a DSLR which means it has a digital sensor instead of film, this went on until the camera in my mobile phone improved so much that I hardly ever bothered to take the DSLR out and about with me and for the most part the photos I put on my blog have been taken with my phone.

The camera in a modern smartphone is very good indeed and it is based around emulating the things you can do with a DSLR, so good in fact that with a normal photo taken in reasonable light I mostly can’t tell whether a photo has been taken with a DSLR or a smartphone, can you?

The other end of digital photography is how you put it on the internet and with the smartphone, if you set it up in the right way then it puts all the photos you take on the internet automatically so all you have to do is decide who you want to be able to view them.

An example of this is one of the ways I put old pictures of Thanet on the internet, this is to open an album take my phone out of my pocket and take photos of the photos, this process is very automated so that when I go to write this blog all I have to do is type for a bit and then click on the button that says add photos and the all appear, highlighting them means they will publish in the blog post where I want them.


 I'll do it now










Anyway a new phone a "Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus" theoretically a British company I think 

Where pretty much everything apart from a DSLR falls down is when there isn't much light, but like any kid with a new toy I have just popped outside to try it and here are the results.
















Good and bad, but I think with a bit of practice I can get better at using it.

The main thing with my internet activity is that it has to be different to the average because I have a lot of other things to do, like running a local business, publishing local history books and having children at school, so I don’t get much time for it, certainly not the time to edit photos.

So the idea is to carry around a bridge camera and the phone and hopefully produce some pictures that look, if not good, at least different.

I now have two bridge cameras and as it was sunny and I had the opportunity of an early lunch break I took the most recent out and snapped away in Ramsgate for a bit, the camera is a Nikon Coolpicx P90.

Being a fairly dated camera the easiest way for me to publish the pictures it takes is popping the card out of the camera and into my laptop and then copying the pictures and pasting them onto my website, so here are the links to today’s lunchtime pictures.




Finally here is the link to the pictures of the books that went out in the bookshop today http://michaelsbookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/arctic-exploration-in-bookshop.html  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.