Saturday 22 September 2018

Maps and Death in Ramsgate and Margate

This 1934 map of Ramsgate should enlarge if you click on it, if it doesn't get big enough to read the roads I will work out something else. Like this perhaps

I have had a few issues with FaceBook recently, well who hasn't, with me it's been putting something on the bookshop website so it's big enough to be useful and Facebook deleting it from their site if I put the link to it in a comment there.

I think some sort of robotic reader at Facebook thinks that because mine is a bookshop website I am trying to get a bit of free advertising so if I put a link to a large picture in a Facebook comment it automatically deletes it.

  Some time ago I bought a hand coloured version of the 1849 map of Ramsgate and have subsequently developed various strategies to share it with other people.

One of these was to publish it onto the bookshop website as a very big picture

Here is the link to the map  

And another one to the same map in a different place

So I have 2 maps published on two different websites and I may well see what Facebook's robot thinks.

For anyone who is having difficulty with this you can just come into the the bookshop here in Ramsgate and buy the map on a large sheet of paper

I am in the book business but the death business interests me too. Back in the dim and distant past I was in the religious business, in fact I was called "a religious" and down the road there was a convent fullish of other religious. Back then the nuns there were getting older, so periodically one would die and the community I was part of would go to the funeral. They didn't need a hearse but had a hand drawn bier to get the successful - death being part of the goal in religious football - from the convent chapel to the convent cemetery a winding steeply sloping path thought the woods. I half expected to see HAMMER writ large across the sky.  This Margate undertakers calling card or advert has a certain appeal and possibly similar evocations.

I think a more lively and cheerful next this is the Lido Cliftonville in the mid 50s

Sorry there was no blog post yesterday I ran out of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.