Friday 28 September 2018

When and where is a Ramsgate Brewer not a brewer?

I suppose the short answer to this one is 1849, where, I guess, is much more difficult so where do you get a shield bug on Bellvue Hill, which now of course is Plains of Waterloo.
 Where I live over the bookshop in Ramsgate is one of the most deprived wards in the UK, there are pros and cons to this, but in terms of animal rescue, geographically disadvantaged insects and the like, When the what?
Deprived, book collectors, dear readers, shoppers deprived of shops, well they don't walk by on the other wosisname.

The Shield Bug now rescued had alighted on the centre pages of this book and as you can see from the map above, also published in 1849 this is link to whole map (I produce it in a tube for a tenner although this is for walk in customers only) Bellvue Hill later became an extension of Plains of Waterloo.

I wonder why? After 1849 that is, the Napoleonic wars finished in 1815, I think, so why more Plains after 1849?

One wonders, or does one? What on earth in 1849 the difference between a beer manufacturer and a brewer could be? Today it is reasonable to assume the manufacture of beer without the tedious and expensive business of brewing it, would be no problem, but in 1849? 

Billy Merrin, courtesy Ramsgate Library, should I explain further? Vide link 



Old picture wise I am still trying to get used to the different lighting at my desk


 Date wise if there is anything on the back it's beneath the card
 Why did it arrive nearly a month after it was written? Wilder Wales?







This one as you see heralds the swinging 60s

Work wise this is the link to pictures of the books that went out today


Walking back from the Pav aka Spoons this evening and thinking that the view from our table this link is to the photos on my camera card and most were taken sitting at my table there, you would have been hard pushed to get a table with a better view.

I remembered the view from the tables in the restaurant upstairs in The Royal, one of our favourites for Sunday lunch in the 60s and 70s. A bit of a mixed bag though, would you bring it all back? I am not sure the strippers, back bar downstairs, would go down well in our more politically correct society.




Of course the view is a bit of a complex one, looking at the sea, looking at the sea with beach and or harbour in the foreground are very different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.