Saturday 8 September 2018

Old Ramsgate and Margate photos and a bit of a rant about lost property and stuff

Pictures will expand when clicked tapped wosisnamed









As the internet and particularly social media moves further into the realms of trying to sell us things that we don't want to buy I find my forays into posting local history, art exhibitions you can view locally and books that you can browse locally are getting more difficult.

As part of this here is a link to the photos above published full size in ordinary html and a link to the same in secure mode if you understand exactly what I am fiddling about with here you are doing better than I am.

A few photos of Ramsgate today here is the link

So some thoughts on real life security, earlier in the week someone left their phone in the bookshop, fortunately they had put a lock screen message on it telling anyone who found it to text their friend's/relation's number. This meant that they got their phone back straight away.

It now occurs to me that it may be a good idea to attach the same message to other items that I would like to get back if I lose the them, actually probably a better idea to use my own mobile number, or is it, maybe not on my keys if my number put into a search engine tells anyone who finds them what they open.

The police don't deal with lost property unless it relates to a crime, although it isn't as simple as that, as it depends a bit on which county you are in.

My understanding of the situation at the moment is that if I found a bunch of keys in the street, for instance, the were I to drive to Margate and take them into the police station, they probably wouldn't accept them.

As far as I can tell the vast majority of people are honest, so the chances of something you've lost being found by a criminal is fairly remote, there are various internet lost property options, free and paid, but nothing that seems universally obvious to anyone who finds something. While the internet would work I think a lot would depend on how internet savvy the finder was and how much they enjoyed filling in online forms.

I would expect most people would send you a text if you put "please text 1234321 if found" on something, whether they would make much more effort seems a bit unlikely.

Sill on the lost front, I can't stress enough the importance of backing up digital stuff like photos and important documents to the cloud, this is so if say your house burns down and you only escape with you pyjamas you can get it back from the bomb proof bunker in the U.S. of A. once you replace your phone and computer.

Your phone in particular should be configured to automatically send your precious stuff every tome it goes on wifi.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.