Saturday 29 September 2018

Old local pictures, a bit of a moan, a few new pictures




Wandering around Ramsgate I am very much aware of how many prime leisure sites are disused.
Obviously the Pleasuama site is the highest profile, however I am sitting on the sundeck of
The Royal Victoria Pavilion or Wetherspoons along with a few hundred other people and
vaguely wondering how many thousands of pounds per hour this space is taking today.


I think the key attraction with this particular space is that what will happen is very predictable and
that whatever view you choose from your seat remains uninterrupted by traffic and parking.
Extended pros and cons are, no dogs, this is a pro for some people and a con for others.
A funny one this as the majority would pretty much have to be silent, if there is one,
Do you like my lovely dog anywhere near your food?
Do you want anything going on your mouth being served or prepared by people who have just petted it?
My dog is bigger than yours, is better/worse than yours..  
We normally had three dogs when we lived in Augusta Road but not now, dogs and
town centre flats are too difficult for me.

This picture of Ramsgate was taken before 1860 when buildings on the right of the picture were demolished to make way for the railway station.

This is the link to the 1849 map of Ramsgate

Having looked at it you probably have as much idea of what was there as any one else

 The area behind the maritime museum benefits from an excellent unobstructed view but has been out of bounds for several years now because of
 loose lump of masonry hanging above it, only in Ramsgate I guess.
 The slipways are a case of no viable solution prior to demolition, it transpires that Hornby were not as interested as the developer implied.


If you managed to read the back of the postcard at the top, you will have noticed that it was posted on June 28 1911. One of the most informative I have read from this period. At this time the Harbour is very much a transport hub [the fishing industry is also very significant] cargo vessels and passenger steamers. With a railway station by the sands both in Ramsgate and Margate, going to Margate by steamboat and returning by tram changes my perspective on travelling around Thanet just over 100 years ago.

Apologies next, the link in yesterday's post that said it lead to the 1849 map of Ramsgate lead to the 1849 directory buy it page. I have hopefully corrected it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.