Monday 4 March 2019

Eastcliff Ramsgate and Margate mostly in an imagined darkness historic photos, possible ramble
















On to the ramble which is a bit of a go at recording my day, for me as I haven't taken any photos or painted anything, for me to anchor it to in the sense of looking back to today from the future and having exited today.

In the bookshop today, a reasonably average day, chatting with customers, my cheap replacement phone turned up from Amazon, an Oukitel K8. It seems to be ok and I will review it once I have used it a bit. It restored pretty much everything automatically, the main thing that never comes back is the BBC Radio Player podcasts. I have done some of these as I use them in places with a bad internet signal. I have also used it to charge my sound cancelling headphones with an OTG connector.   

The real test is when I am actually out and about, using the phone to transfer pictures from my camera SD card and publish them online or writing a blog post using a Bluetooth keyboard sorts out the phones from the phones. 

Having spent about an hour fighting with Boots website. 'You can only buy candy flavoured nicotine replacement sweets in our website. You don't have to pay postage if you get them delivered to our store.' I'm considering my ageing brain here see link why you can't buy something from Boots online without your Advantage Card number - mine had rubbed off, defies the imagination.

I did a very stupid thing with my old phone and tried using my phone in Accessibility Mode, i.e. for someone visually impaired. What ensued was like being caught using a disabled parking space, or pretending you dog is an assistance dog to get it into somewhere 'No Dogs Allowed' and being found out. Getting back into ordinary mode was embarrassingly difficult and using it in the mode for the blind, well it was much harder than I expected. The key here is to scroll using two fingers, like Winston Churchill.  

But I do aim to be able to use my phone blindfold, this is partly because of updating my study of electronics and looking into ultrasound applications for the disabled.

I have just finished reading 'Fire from Heaven.' which is the first book in Mary Renault's Alexander trilogy and am looking for a fiction read to slip in between books 1 and 2 Having bought Virtruvious's Ten Books on Architecture in Canterbury yesterday. The Cambridge edition, I aim to give that a go, but still need some fiction.

The new arrivals aka the books we put out today, not Lucrezia Borgia's mastectomy in Bartolomeo Veneto's portait. One of the most brazen outrages in paperback cover design

Here is the link to photos of the books


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.