Sunday 3 March 2019

Watercolour Paining in Canterbury today, Margate Lifeboats and other old Thanet pictures

 Quiver lifeboat, strictly speaking the Margate Lifeboats were surf boats 
Correction from Michael Cates Michael One of the photos has a note suggesting Margate boats were "Surf Boats" not "Lifeboats". The boat in the photo is Quiver and is a 'proper' National Lifeboat institution (soon to be Royal NLI) with watertight aircases and because it was a pulling and sailing boat capable of deep water and longer distance rescues. the equivalent of All Weather Lifeboats today. The surfboats - like Friend to All Nations - were not (R)NLI designs and were much lighter and neither watertight nor self-righting.



 Eliza Harriet at Whitstable 1889











 Wm. Pull 1847-1948
 Paddy Walker 1872-1948







From Google maps for the picture above it






 Bookbuying in Canterbury today, there is a bit of an irony here inasmuch as as while Canterbury has a very good bookshop for antiquarian and collectable books it just doesn't have a general secondhand independent bookshop. Which means in many cases the books I bought in Canterbury today will be bought by people in Canterbury coming to Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate to buy them.

 I think the relentless demise of reasonably good shops where ordinary items are for sale at prices that compete with the internet is impacting on our quality of life.

 One of the other thing I go to Canterbury for is civilised afternoon tea
Opposite Chocolate Cafe, La Trappiste which had metomorphasised into Deakin & Co when I started this watercolour sketch has now become The Drapers Arms. Fortunately the sketch is on Bockingford NOT paper so I was able to scrub the old sign off and put the new one on.

No photos of Canterbury today due to the inclement whether however

This is a link to some I prepared earlier

For those in need of a reasonably priced book about René Descartes or Edvard Munch,

this is the link to the books that went out yesterday

I was listening to a lecture about Confucius's philosophy earlier when the lady academic called something, taxiomicart, I've no idea how you spell it but that was what it sounded like, anyone know what the word means?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.