Sunday 31 March 2019

Kelly's Directories to The Isle of Thanet and our local history

This photo shows some of the books I bought in Canterbury today, and I guess the represent the bread and butter end of local history. If you want to find out who lived in your house in say 1960 the 1961 directory will probably tell you.

If you want walk the Thanet streets down memory lane, then you can do it in the directories.
This is Harbour Street Ramsgate from the 1971 directory, as books go the Thanet directories are fairly expensive, you can pick up a fairly scruffy post war Thanet Kelly's directory without its map for about £20 with prewar ones with maps well over £100.

Obviously putting, Kelly's Thanet, into Ebay and ticking the sold listings box will show you what people have paid for them recently. This link may take you there, but Ebay is a funny thing to link to so it may not.

We do cheap reprints of the most useful ones, this is the link to them and you can always come into the Michael's Bookshop here in Ramsgate and browse them. We are open 9.30 to 5.30 but closed Thursdays, Sundays and bank holidays.

I always have a reasonable stock of the original Thanet directories although I don't put them out on the shelves or on the internet, to be honest if we did then we wouldn't have enough.

This is King Street Ramsgate in 1970



Here is the link to the photos of the books that went out in the bookshop yesterday

A few photos of Canterbury today




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.