Friday 8 March 2019

Ramsgate, Margate and Broadstairs pictures and a map from the early 1870s,






The above all coms from the two 1874 guides that we recently republished, while I would strongly recommend coming into Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate and giving them a good old browsing before you consider buying them. If you are unable here are the links to the two buy it now wotsisnames               Link 1               Link 2

I am currently reading the oldest know novel, Chaereas and Callirhoe probably by Chariton of Aphrodisias. It was probably written in around 50AD but is an historical romance set in about 400BC. The main characters have fallen in love, which has made them so ill that one of them has nearly died, but they have now been married at a public festival of Aphrodite so you would think all would be well, however it seems their lives are to be blighted by their rejected suitors.

When it comes to the classics I have only just discovered the fiction in terms of actually reading it. If you want to read it here is the link to the book I hope. I am reading a paper book and a much more recent translation by B. P. Reardon done in the late 1980s, The copyright expired ones that are free on the internet tend to predate the Chatterley trial and were often done into English by impoverished Victorian clergymen who had studied biblical Greek (a sort of barrow boy Greek) and not classical Greek.

Work wise today, was very busy,

this is the link to the photos of the books we put out

Lunch and supper sketching at Wetherspoons aka The Royal Victoria Pavilion Ramsgate





Spot the difference?

The most difficult aspect of populating the Pav watercolour sketch is getting the people the right size, apparently back in the day some artists used a camera obscura, but you know how it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.