Saturday 23 March 2019

Ramsgate and Margate pictures

This is a the railway train accident in Ramsgate, there were quite a few of these because of the incline in the tunnel. You can see the tent on the site where The Royal Victoria Pavilion will be built in 1903. 


 I guess these two pictures summarise why I would be unlikely to buy a flat in the proposed development on the Pleasurama site in Ramsgate, why it is unlikely to be built and of course it raises the question why would anyone want to land bank the site for residential development. Click on the pictures, enlarge them and the consider whether you would want to live under it.

 The brewery chimney in this picture is about where the entrance to Waitrose from the car park is now.

 Note the narrow path between the Admiral Harvey, now called Mariners Bar and Ramsgate Harbour

 This is one of the proposals made in around 1890 for where the red brick arches were built next to Ramsgate Harbour in about 1895

 Around the time Westcliff Hall opened in 1914





 This seems to be the St John's invalid carriage training department officer.
 I have tried one of these, they were still about when I was a disabled child and are propelled by pulling one handle back and pushing the other one forward, steering the thing by twisting the top of the right hand handle.


 This one says policemen probably Margate on it





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.