Saturday 22 August 2009

WANTSUM JAZZ 09 AIMS TO BEAT THE CREDIT CRUNCH

The fifth annual jazz festival organised by the Thanet Jazz Festival Trust is scheduled to take place on the Regency Lawns, Ramsgate between 2pm and 9pm on Sunday 30 August.

This year, in spite of being hit by a shortage of funding, we plan to have Dana Gillespie (pictured) as our headline singer. Dana has been dedicated to the blues from an early age, and was invited by Bob Dylan to support him on his 1997 UK tour, including a sell-out show at Wembley. She was also voted ‘Top British Female Blues Vocalist’ by the British Blues Connection and Blueprint Magazine between 1992 and 1996. Her backing group will include local artists, David Malin and Duncan Mackay.

And local talent will be prominently on show throughout the day. The events start with the Kent Youth Jazz Orchestra who played to great acclaim two years ago. We follow this with the up and coming rock/funk musician Henry Johnson who has already developed a significant local following and is currently on the edge of signing a major record deal.
Our headline band will be the ever popular Westcoast Band from Margate who can guarantee to get the crowd swinging.
As in previous years, we shall have associated events in the Churchill Tavern, including the ever popular Electric Arquestra on Monday. Watch out for posters, and enjoy the blues over the August Bank Holiday weekend

2 comments:

  1. Never heard Dana but just found her on MYSPACE http://www.myspace.com/danagillespie AND SHE HAS SEVERAL TRACKS YOU CAN LISTEN TO nice voice

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Henry-johnson/9822927617?ref=ts

    ReplyDelete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.