Tuesday 30 October 2018

200 years ago in Thanet, click on the picture of the tower??



Ok if you are still following this post you will want to know what it says in Mockett's Journal

A collection of interesting matters, relating to remarkable personages, ancient buildings, manners and customs, &c., beginning from the year 50. Also, particulars of various churches; origin of the reculvers; parochial matters relative to St. Peter's, with observations on agriculture (the result of forty years' experience); and the prices of corn, cattle, and labour, for many hundred years. Collected from manuscripts of the author's ancestors, together with those of his own, during the last fifty years. Interspersed with tours to Cambridge, Norfolk, Hampshire, Berkshire, Devonshire, and France.






|If you have got to here then you must be a reader and you will want to see the pictures of the books we put out in the bookshop today

This is the link to they

A few further thoughts, what Facebook did to the picture of the tower was an education to me.

Buy it now button wise here is the link for Mockett's Journal

John Mockett (1775~1848) was a farmer in the Isle of Thanet at the beginning of the 1800s. He was a churchwarden to St. Peters Broadstairs in the Isle of Thanet at a time when local government was administered by the parish so he had considerable responsibility for the care of the population and the environment. This publication is the result of a journal kept by him and members of his family. It is filled with amusing information about our history the following are some examples. When coaches first appeared in England a law was passed to prevent men from riding in them as it was thought too effeminate. When the peace was celebrated at St. Peters in 1814, 436 poor persons and stewards were seated at a table 132 feet long, with about 8 inches of table each it must have been a bit cramped, admission was by ticket all had to bring their own knives and forks.

I would say it is a book for the smallest room in the house, something to dip into on occasions rather than a cover to cover read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.