Wednesday 3 October 2018

A New Look at the Death of Deal and some old local pictures.

I'm afraid it's the same old local pictures of Thanet followed by some Deal ones for a change










I sometimes go to Deal, painting =, book buying and the like

Their branch of New Look is about to close and it's one of the largest shops in Deal I guess it will be the same calculation for their Ramsgate shop.

I don't think you could easily make anything work viably paying a reasonable rent, reasonable rates, heat and light and staffing the shop at minimum wage.

 As I guess most of you know I run the bookshop in King Street Ramsgate.

I think by far and away the largest cost would be wages, With the New Look shop taking the minimum wage at £8 per hour, including holiday pay and employer deductions you could just scrape around it costing about £12 per hour to employ someone, so if you were open 8 hours a day 6 days a week with a staff off 4 in the building that would run out around £2,300, rent and rates for a week you could perhaps get it down to £1,500 for a shop that size so you may just be able to get the doors open for around £4,000 per week. All you have to do then is work out what it is you could sell £1,000 per day of at a 40% profit and you are at break even.

Here are a few Deal pictures









No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.