Monday 15 October 2018

Yo

I am not a person to notice much about the verbal peculiarities of people, but at about 2am a car that had probably been delocked, lowered and had a the sound system replaced with a mega blaster came along King Street accelerating in a way that accentuated the absence of exhaust baffles bringing me into the state of consciousness that I think of as speculative. 

Into the intensified silence that follows a loud noise came the happy sound of the youf of today who were in that wonderful period between drinking a lot of beer and feeling ill. As I lay there wishing I still had my B.S.A. with the megaphone exhaust one of the youfs said. "Yo, I am going to get a car." I hadn't realised that it was possible to get into a state of euphoria that causes young people to actually say "yo" at least he didn't say dude.

Recently I find myself in a world where people call me mate, bruv, geez and even guv and I am wondering what has happened to British middle class, such as one would find in Carry On Up The Wosisname, have they become extinct?

Here in the bookshop the world hasn't yet evolved, people buying Dorothy Sayers and P G Wodehouse mostly inhabit a separate reality.

I am rereading Harry Potter at the moment, it strikes me that a series of books where the comprehension age rises with the age of the main character is unique. Comprehension age is a very different age to reading age and one of those things that interests me.

Anyway I can't help being middle class, my father was a bookseller and my mother an organic chemist. So should I pretend to be lower class [was working class] or should I risk ridicule.

do you say:-??

A hotel

An hotel

a 'otel

An 'otel

aitch or haitch 

The situation with the old local photos is that I am trying something different.
I have owned a few cameras over the years and my favourite film camera is the Nikon F

I have to fess up that my favourite digital camera is my Canon S3 IS
 these were the first 2 before macro cut in, everything in the post same camera S3 IS and just fiddling about









































Work in the Bookshop

Sorry it's a bit of an odd post today, but in order to see how different things look on different things, say phone in firefox or Windows 10 in Chrome it's easiest just to do it

2 comments:

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.