Monday 25 November 2019

Mystery picture, answer to Saturday's mystery picture, Canterbury and Ramsgate photos

Do you know where in Thanet this is?

Saturday's mystery photo was of Dumpton Park Station which was demolished in 1972, the rather grandiose station building, that is, the station itself is still used as a station.

The main source for information on Ramsgate Railways is David Richards book All Change, here is the link to it  I recommend giving it a good browse next time you are in Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate.

The mystery photo was from that book and so is the following.

Here is the photo before I cropped off the title

Here is Dumpton Park Station when it first opened in 1926

In 1846 the South Eastern Railway was extend from Canterbury to Ramsgate, blue line + little bit of of yellow lineThe first Ramsgate Old Town Station was at the on Margate Road near the top of Chatham Street.

In 1860 the London Chatham and Dover Railway was extended from Herne Bay to Ramsgate red line and through the tunnel pink line to The Sands Station.

In 1926 the  South Eastern Railway and the London Chatham and Dover Railway amalgamated the two competing railways were no longer competing the existing Ramsgate stations were replaced, the tunnel and line to Margate were closed.

The line from Canterbury and the one from Herne Bay were joined up green line.

Here is the link to the photos I took yesterday in Canterbury and this evening in Ramsgate

I have had a few ITC issues, so sorry if I haven't responded to you during the last 48 hours.

Fairly busy at work here at Michael's Bookshop in Ramsgate

link to the books we put out

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.