Saturday 30 November 2019

Mystery Thanet Hotel for the class conscious, yesterday's answer and some other old photos to go with he answer

Do you know which Thanet hotel this was?
Do you say 
a hotel, 
an hotel, 
a 'otel, 
or an 'otel?
Back in the day it showed which class you were.
The answer to yesterday's mystery picture


I'll do it by zooming out

The significant arrows point to the buildings of interest

The red one so the answer is, it was built as the harbour offices on the ground floor and the commissioners wosisname upstairs, committee room, dining room and so on depending on what you read.

The Green one i think is the Harbour Master's House.

The purple one points to the Clock House, which is still there.

The blue one points to the Harbour Store.

The coloured arrows show the significant buildings 


This is the full picture which should expand when you click on it

Some information from Michael Cates which helps next 

"Clock House 1842 to 1881 when it had a black face

Between 1871 and c.1894. Custom House

Michael Well - when the old Harbour Trustees transferred management of the harbour to the Board of Trade in 1862 there was no need for the meeting room. What happened between then and 1871 is unknown to me.

I suspect the Harbour Master's house stayed in that role for some time as did the old police station until 1887.

In the current harbour master's office are (or were?) some fine 18th/19th century curved cupboards, with barely discernible writing on them identify "Engineer's Dept. etc.

I suspect they were custom built (no pun intended) for the old committee building to suit its circular floor plan"


This map should help
It's called Pier House in this one.
link to the rest of the map
we sell the map as a printed sheet about a yard wide for £9.99 in the bookshop. HP printer with genuine HP ink. Or you can have a go at printing it yourself and gluing it together, I think it uses about £9.99 worth of ink. We don't post the paper map because of the cost of cardboard tube, postage and labour making it too expensive.

 Extra questions. Do you know what the basket on the little crane on the left of the picture is for? Do you know why there is smoke coming out of a small funnel on this Ramsgate Fishing Smack?
 this one in particular is worth expanding, these photos of Ramsgate Harbour from before 1890 are worth close examination.
Note the size of Ramsgate's fishing fleet back in the day, a business worth millions,

Here at Michael's Bookshop where I work in Ramsgate I have been making sign boards for the top of the window.




 These are easily removable boards that take 3 sheets of A3 I will be encouraging the young people who work part time in the bookshop after school to change what they say to something more interesting. 

link to the photos of the books we put out today  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.