Thursday 14 November 2019

Mystery picture, yesterday's solution, historic pictures, my day buying books and a bit of painting in Folkestone, well you know what to expect.

Do you recognise this Thanet cafe, the photo was taken ten years ago.  25.07.09 Pony, file ref

The next few photos are of the 1949 Viking invasion of Broadstairs





My day off, wosisname, well, it was pouring with rain, so we got into the car and headed for Marrin's bookshop in Folkestone, very close to a large indoor car park - meaning that armed with an an umbrella, we could start in the dry.

Here is a link to their website

This bookshop has been open since 1946, has a stock of collectable books, mostly priced between about £10 and about £5,000, very much a destination for book collectors.

We bought a few books there and then headed of to the Oxfam Bookshop, but got diverted to Chocolate Cafe, where I painted a bit over lunch.
 Most of the rain and sleet happened while this was going on so we didn't get wet
 The watercolour painting from there is progressing slowly.
 We did Books and toys which has a good range of popular fiction paperbacks, price around £2.
 The answer to yesterday's mystery photo is both simple and complicated, the simple answer is the fire escape to the Granville Theatre, this is the link to the complicated local history answer 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.