Saturday 2 November 2019

Some old Thanet photos, some more Great Wall of Ramsgate photos, some photos of my morning walk in Ramsgate ten years ago etc

 Do you know where this is, postmarked 1907 back below











Peter one of my blog readers brought in a memory stick with his photos of The Great Wall of Ramsgate to share
Link to the rest of Peter's Great Wall of Ramsgate photos

Link to the photos I took on my morning walk 10 years ago

Here in the book world, I am reading Desmond Morris's The Lives of the Surrealists and David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas. What are you reading?

A very wet afternoon and Michael's Bookshop where I work here in Ramsgate has gone very quiet. I have been pricing Loeb Classics, these are classics in translation with the original language on the left page with the translation on the right page. The idea was dreamed up by James Loeb over 100 years ago.

They mostly sell online for between £15 and £20 and in the bookshop between £10 and £15 

If you put loeb classical library into Ebay and click on the sold listings tab you can see what I mean. Of course they are priced for sale there at anything up to about £600 but nevertheless they never seem to sell for more than £20 each.

There are about 1,500 listed, with only 75 sold in the last three months, it's very hard to see how this works and for who, apart from Ebay. 

Let's say you sold one for £15 on Ebay, large letter recorded post would be about £4 and £1.50 for Ebay plus the work of listing the other 15 that didn't sell.

You could have some leftovers.

A large part of the books we priced and put in the bookshop window were Snoopy Books, straightforward stuff in the book business I think they were all OK so priced at £1.99 I don't expect them to last very long.


Only a very few local history books in today's batch. I wonder how many Snoopy Books they did? I think there are about 60 in today's batch and I think they are all different.

Blog written, two decent books on the go, not sure which to read now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.