Sunday 3 November 2019

Old Ramsgate and Margate photos updated

Here is the answer, Manston Road Crossing, this was replaced with the Railway bridge near to Manston Tesco, above the picture without the text cropped off

Map C1910 red arrow pointing to crossing
Up to date map

If you want more detail, you want more detail you would need to come into Michael's Bookshop, King Street in Ramsgate and look at the book Ramsgate All Change - Railways in the News at Ramsgate by David Richards.

If you can't get into the bookshop here is the link to the "buy it now" wosisname and below pictures of the relevant pages in the book




 Do you know where in Thanet this railway crossing was?


 The largest thing in this Margate photo is Cobb's Brewery
 This is the remains of Margate Lighthouse after the 1953 storm




 Sanger's memorial
 Cranbourne Place Margate
 Phoenix Margate
 Ramsgate, you can just see the bridge in front of the tunnel entrance
 Sundeck of the Pavilion Ramsgate


 Western undercliff Ramsgate

 Ramsgate
 If you know Ramsgate you should be able to recognise where from the distinctive windows


We were in Canterbury today buying books painting shopping and so on

It was interesting to watch an artist putting Christmas picture on the windows of the cafe that keeps changing its name
Link to the photos


2 comments:

  1. Re railway Crossing - could it be Cliffsend? Definitely not Garlinge Crossing - my only other suggestion is the former crossing at Star Lane, on the Margate Harbour Branch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have updated this post with the answers at the top

      Delete

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.