Saturday 4 July 2009

Rock Promotion Thanet District Council IT gets it wrong The Birchington Village Partnership gets it right.

I spent a large part of yesterday trying to get Thanet District Council to promote Ramsgate Rocks on their website, I shouldn’t have been surprised that they didn’t, especially as their website still says about Margate’s Big Event that was held last month: “Preview of two days of thrilling free entertainment - Full programme available soon.” Unbelievable? click here to view, I know of one disabled guy that can't stay out for too long that missed the Red Arrows because of this omission.

The councils stance appears to be that this is down to Ramsgate Town Partnership but on the TDC website when you get to their A to Z of services it lists Ramsgate Town Partnership the link takes you to a page on the TDC website that doesn’t exist.

Nothing on the TDC website about the reopening of Ramsgate Maritime Museum either, when they do things that are good you would think they would want to promote them TDCIT just don’t seem to be able to grapple with 21st century IT.

Still the search facility on their homepage doesn’t work properly although they could use the free one provided by Google, like the one my sidebar , a lot of other councils do, but TDCIT seem to think that given enough time and money they will eventually know more than Google about searching websites.

Still their press releases and new documents have no feeds, once again they could embed a blog on the appropriate pages and let the council officers writing the documents post them directly.

Doing both things would probably take less than an hour and would free up their IT officers to sort out the very real problems that TDCIT has.

The Birchington Village Partnership seems to have no such problem using the internet to publicise their events and has been round the local blogs commenting with their Michael Jackson Tribute competition press release click here to read it

While on the subject of Michael Jackson, when his autobiography “Moonwalk” came out in paperback I managed to buy a lot of copies of the hardback first edition very cheaply and sold them in my bookshop for £1.99, as it’s now selling on ebay for anything up to £100 people who bought it from me for £1.99 have been phoning me up all day to see if I have any left at £1.99, I haven’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.