Sunday 11 November 2018

100th Armistice Day, some old WW1 related photos, photos inside Chaucer Bookshop in Canterbury



There are many different ways of viewing the WW1 armistice, my grandfather on my mother's side lied about his age, joined up at 15 and found himself in the trenches. With the school leaving age at the time he seemed to think it the best option.

Here in Ramsgate I think people felt they had suffered particularly badly during WW1, it's fairly complicated and so long ago, we do produce several books about Ramsgate in WW1 and to honest I think one of the best starting points is to come into the bookshop and have a good old browse of them.

text from the period

"The inhabitants of Ramsgate, who had suffered so severely through the German raiders, had the satisfaction after the Armistice was signed of seeing one of the U-Boats brought into the Harbour.

A German Submarine Souvenir.
Ramsgate drifters, which have guarded the Channel and cleared it of mines during the war, have many remarkable feats to their credit. On one occasion they destroyed U-B 48, a gigantic mine-laying submarine, which was rounded up on the Goodwin Sands and blown to pieces. One gun was saved and brought to Ramsgate, where it is mounted as a souvenir on the West Cliff."

Here is the link to the most popular of our WW1 books, the page includes a reasonably large sample of text and pictures from the book.
Looking at the  photos of the books we put out yesterday it is obvious that we are still focused in both word wars this is the link

Canterbury today this is the link to the general photos

This is the link to the Chaucer Bookshop photos



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.