Wednesday 28 November 2018

pictures and points

I have been hard at what was once called paperwork, but now all happens with devices today.

This first link is to pictures inside Margate museum in 2011

Quite a lot of pictures of pictures, but there you go. History is like that and I gather some of my readers are fairly young, which means 7 years ago can be a substantial proportion of their lives.
This picture is from spring of 2014

and this one looking the same way but a bit closer to the harbour in 1788

 A couple here of Albion House that mention the empire, now something a bit difficult to equate with
The past is very much a foreign country



 This one is of the construction of Westcliff Hall, so around 1913, it opened about the same time as WW1 started and later became the motor museum featured in yesterday's post


I thought if I put up some pictures I would have something to say, but a long day seems to have produced a bit of a fog on that front. The town centre Christmas decorations look OK but don't make it to the bookshop, to be honest if the ones in the the bookshop go up before December I get adverse comment and other issues.

I think something that I am noticing is the enormous increase in literacy caused by smartphones, this is having some sort of impact on the bookshop. And yes the bookshop is reasonably busy at the moment, I think there is an area where, reading the book on paper, reading the book on a device and watching the film are different experiences, but not quite that. Perhaps an area where surfing the internet and browsing the bookshop are both valid experiences, not quite that either but something in that area.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.