Monday 19 November 2018

The good old days

Ever distracted and supposedly working I got sucked into one of my favourite Ramsgate guidebooks 
Miss Joydays gives us the tour and here is the link to the sample pages I put up on the web when I first published the reprint about eleven years ago.

Back when the guide was first published in 1939, what was it people did? I suppose the guide was actually assembled in 1938, 80 years ago and not log before WW2

The council seems to have been active on the entertainments front, the pictures should expand if you click, tap wosisname
Hot and Cold running water in all rooms, so some mod cons
This rather strange advertisement seems to imply it would be fairly normal to have a flower pot flown in.



NRT is a way of measuring boats a ton which I think in this sense means 100 cubic feet inside
On to today, I didn't get out, so no photos or paintings, however the bookshop isn't a bad place to be at this time of year. One question I get asked a lot is "What type of books do you buy?" I suppose as the bookshop blog shows what we bought over the weekend then that's a good indicator.

This is the link

Once again I am having problems with linking to FaceBook groups, it's supposed to be easy but in practice what happens when I do keeps on changing. I am afraid there is a robot at facebook that will think Ramsgate Harbour charges for 1939 is some sort of stealth advertising. Perhaps it will think the 1939 Ramsgate guide is a cookery book




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.