Monday 18 February 2019

Click on the picture and Bygone Kent Magazine


 Feeling a bit lazy today, so I have just taken some photos of a few random postcards that I have probably used before. The first one is Ramsgate Sands with the pier in the background, the entrance to the railway tunnel visible, although the colourist has done something strange in the tunnel and changed hitory a bit.
 This one was probably taken from one of the upstairs windows of Albion House in about 1910, you can see the dereliction behind the old Queens Head

 This one posted during WW1 and presumably showing prewar Margate, a bit of a window into a past that is difficult to relate to. A postcard to Dear Sir at Accounts IV War Office, difficult to relate to?

 August 1914 and as you can see from the text, ripping in Palm Bay

 In this one from 1905, Ethel seems to want china babies brought to Broadstairs 




The rest didn't say anything on the back.

Here in Michael's Bookshop Ramsgate where I work, we have just topped up the Bygone Kent main series magazines.
The rest of the pictures of the ones that went out today are on the bookshop's blog

Here is the link

Price wise these fluctuate a bit, the newer ones, after Meresborough stopped publishing them are generally more expensive as they are harder to get, although not necessarily better. At the moment we are selling the main series ones at 99p each to walk in customers, so reasonably good value for reasonably well researched and edited local history.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.