Monday 11 February 2019

Life's s Gas at Aldi in Ramsgate

 My initial thoughts back in 2010/12/etc when I took these photos was that aliens had landed in Ramsgate. Perhaps from the size of their spaceships they had made and error in scale and on leaving their ships they had all been eaten by seagulls.
But apparently when you remove a gasometer it is possible that some of the chemicals, arsenic, cyanide, and others mostly encountered here in the bookshop in the crime fiction section, may be left behind. 

 Cats of course have at least nine lives and even the most ferocious of Borg is easily unassimilated by the cat's digestive system.

 So bumbling on here  "Salus naufragis salus aegris" or "safety for the shipwrecked and health for the sick" as it says over the door 
 Well the health for the sick, was the reason for what I mistook for alien's spaceships, they collect the pollutants for monitoring and are a reasonable reason for making this bit into a car park for a supermarket. 
 History wise
 Ramsgate Gasworks was a bit of a wartime target



 I guess it would be difficult to find anyone who hadn't seen the leaflet
I don't think it would be a good idea to build housing on the old gasworks.

I suppose the elephant in the room is what happens to the old Aldi also built on an old gasworks.

What surprised me is that isn't that much difference between the old Aldi site 1.2 acres and the new one 1.7 acres.
Work in Michael's Bookshop where I work here in Ramsgate includes these two local reprints

Click for photos of the rest of today's books

Back to gas in a mo

The demolition of Nero's,

 Isle of Thanet Gas Company if you wondered

Just remembered I did get out for about half an hour this afternoon for a much needed wander I took a few photos This is the link to them

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, since I started writing this blog in 2007 the way the internet works has changed a lot, comments and dialogue here were once viable in an open and anonymous sense. Now if you comment here I will only allow the comment if it seems to make sense and be related to what the post is about. I link the majority of my posts to the main local Facebook groups and to my Facebook account, “Michael Child” I guess the main Ramsgate Facebook group is We Love Ramsgate. For the most part the comments and dialogue related to the posts here goes on there. As for the rest of it, well this blog handles images better than Facebook, which is why I don’t post directly to my Facebook account, although if I take a lot of photos I am so lazy that I paste them directly from my camera card to my bookshop website and put a link on this blog.